Tuesday, October 9, 2007

All in Favor Say Aye!

I am proud to say that I am in favor for the legalization of same-gender marriages. I have selected this position because somehow I feel it is very close to my heart. I find it completely and utterly ridiculous that the government and other pointless people in society can tell a person who they can and cannot love. When you decide you want to spend the rest of your life with someone, it is not based on their genitalia, but them as a person. The fact that anti-gay and lesbian activists can't see this is extremely alarming, as it shows how superficial and judgemental they are.
I think my strongest argument will be that overall, no one has the right, and should have the power, to tell you who you can or cannot be committed to. My other arguments include that same-sex marriage might be against religious beliefs, but doesn't the Bible, for example, say that we should except all; that God himself "accepts all his children"? If same-sex marriage is opposed because they are unprocreative, shouldn't infertile couples, elderly couples, and couples who just don't want kids be unable to marry?
I intend on getting my readers to see and agree with my point of view by applying this issue to every day life. How would you feel if someone told you you couldn't be with the person you loved? How would it effect you to know that if you loved one was sick in the hospital or had passed away, you would not be able to see them one last time or be involved in their burial wishes?
My concerns for not being able to argue this position are the Social Security, benefits, and pension issues. It is hard to argue that gay and lesbian couples deserve these marital privileges when their union is barely recognized.

2 comments:

Eric L said...

I agree with your point and you are explaning it very well. make sure to state and give examples that can relate to the striaght people and what we would do if we werent allowed to love anyone you want. Also i like the bible comment you add in but keep going on that explane more and you will capture peoples feelings on this issue.

Breanna S. said...

I also agree with you and can undersstand all the points you are making. All of your questions can really make the reader think and its great that you are talking about your topic with such enthusiasm! Keep doing what you're doing !